Photobucket
DEEP SOUTH AIRSOFT - DSA - Your SE US Regional Airsoft Community
September 20, 2014, 02:53:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WELCOME TO DeepSouthAirsoft.com
Please look at the event section for.upcoming games.

Home Help Classifieds Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Well MB06 Rifle Review

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Well MB06 Rifle Review  (Read 4290 times)
Scotland
MS-TAC

Badges: (View All)
50 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Level 4
« on: January 26, 2010, 01:26:15 am »

Hi everyone.  Just to start off I would like to say that I love ugly guns.  I seem to have an affinity to guns that are mismatched and have appendages seemingly stuck on.  I have read lots of first impressions of the Maruzen APS SR-2, and they all seem to be divided.  I am one of the few that seem to think this gun looks awesome and that is just opinion.  Throughout the review I will probably talk about this gun better than others will because I love the idea of it.  You are welcome to you opinions and some will not agree with me and that is fine.  Now that we have gotten that out of the way.

Table of contents

First Impressions
Real Steel History
Appearance/Feel/Build Quality
Internals
Performance/Modifications/Accessories
Pros & Cons
Ordering
The Final Word

Well has come out with another quality clone spring rifle.  The MB06 is the clone of Maruzens APS SR-2L sniper/target rifle.  The original APS (Air Precision System) SR-2 was made by Maruzen with a plastic/nylon/fiberglass looking body.  It was meant for short range target shooting evidently because the fps was rather low (280 ish), and it came without a hop up.  The newer APS SR-2L however did come with a hop up but still very discouragingly low fps. I loved the look of this rifle and was very bummed when I saw the fps, hop up, and price.  I was also discouraged because with so little interest on the forums I was sure that there would be no clones made.  I was shopping around this fall and low and behold Well decides to make a clone of this gun.  I was ecstatic and bought it after Christmas.

First Impressions

I received the box from UPS yesterday and ripped it open with great enthusiasm. The box which you really shouldnít care about at all was brown cardboard with a brown label showing a picture of the rifle.  The cardboard doesnít surround the foam inside it only caps it. In the box was the Well MB06, magazine, cleaning rod, bb loader, and manual.  This is all very self explanatory and if you have mad it this far then I congratulate you.
The gun has a good heft to it and I was surprised to find that there were no creaks or wobbles in this gun (with the exception of the m4 style stock).  The plastic, which from the pictures seemed to be very cheap and shiny, ended up being matt and durable.  The finish is closer to that of the Maruzen than I would have thought.  The bolt pull was very very smooth and the gun is quite quiet (did you do a double take). All in all it was a very good first impression.

Real Steel History

I donít really know why I put this section in here.  This gun is made for airsoft. There is no real steel rifle like it, to my knowledge.

Appearance/Feel/Build Quality

The appearance is very nice if I might say so myself.  The gun is about the same size as a bar 10 rifle however it is a bit thinner in most directions. The gun feels awesome! [Disclaimer]- I love rifle stocks.  I wish there were more guns with rifle stocks.  That was the only thing that I thought I was going to dislike about this gun.-[End Disclaimer]  The gun feels very solid to hold. The one exception is the m4 style stock.  I will get into this more in the modifications part. The externals of this gun are quite rugged and to me feel better built than the bar 10 (which I have owned).  The pistol grip is smaller than an aeg pistol grip which made me feel really happy (small hands).  It is solidly attached to the gun and it is an easy transition from an M4.

Internals

I have taken the gun down partially and will break it down even further later.  The internals of the gun are astounding.  I thought that the bar 10 was the standard for quality internals on a budget rifle, but was I wrong.
The cylinder is very shiny smooth metal and seems to have a very good finish on its interior.  It is openable. I have heard some doubt on this and I want to dispel that right off.  I will probably be opening it and doing some cheap modifications soon.
The trigger mech is made from plastic. WAIT! The plastic is reinforced and very high quality. I would rather have this mech on my bar 10 than the pot metal one that comes with it.  It is very securely connected to the bolt block and there is no wiggle whatsoever.
The bolt block is seems to be high quality metal.  It is thick and strong.  This is very nice.
The barrel is nicely finished and seems to be of high quality brass.  I will try to check it with some calipers soon.
The hop up is an l96 hop up.  This means that it is adjustable with an allen wrench on the bottom of the gun near the magwell.  The hop up system made me happy also.  I have had so much trouble with the right spin on the bar-10 hop up that a screw adjust hop up (like noobies) was a breath of fresh air.  It is also made of very high quality metal and it has a very nice hop up arm.  The bucking which comes with it is incompatible with anything that I have seen, ever.  There is however replacement hop up units which make it possible to use an aeg bucking and barrel.
The fps is forthcoming. It is higher however than a stock bar-10.

Performance/Modifications/Accessories

If you have read up until now you will know that I like this gun a lot.  The performance of this gun varies greatly so far. This is due to a few factors.
1 the hop up needs some work (explanation later)
2 There are no barrel spacers (modification)
3 the stock is wobbly (modification)
4 I used it in the rain in 30-40 degree weather
All that and I still got several kills with it. It is very silent.  I was shooting at people 70ish feet away who couldnít hear me at all.  My teammates who were standing not 10 feet from me couldnít hear it.  The hop up is the blessing and curse for this rifle.  The screw which adjusts it backs out after a magazine or less.  The hop up seems to be fine for about 6-9 shots before it starts to droop.  This is fairly easily solved with a little bit of thin Teflon tape on the treads of the adjustment screw.  The second part of the hop up that needs modification is the barrel hop up connection.  The problem is that there isnít a very good connection between the barrel and the hop up unit.  The hop up bucking has no flange on it like the bar 10 which keeps it from twisting. This means that you canít quite keep you barrel/bucking lined up straight up and down.  You can but after a few shots the barrel will rotate around and you will be stuck shooting up and right instead of just up.  This is again easily solved with some Teflon tape.  The tape will put friction between the barrel/hop up bucking and the hop up itself keeping the barrel straight up and down.
The next problem to be solved is the lack of barrel spacers.  The barrel is a bull barrel, which means it is the same diameter all the way down.  This makes it easy to make some barrel spacers.  I had nothing on me except various kinds of tape so I made barrel spacers out of duct tape.  I donít like messing up a brand new barrel so for the first few wraps of duct tape I did it sticky side up to make sure the spacers wouldnít stick to my barrel.  The next problem and the last is the m4 stock.  The stock doesnít fit very snuggly on the stock tube which makes it wobbly.  This is very bad for a sniper who needs a good shot so I turn to my good of faithful trusty friend duct tape.  I put some small strips of duct tape on the stock tube and voile the stock doesnít jiggle.  I also modified the tube itself for a different reason.  I like my rifles to be a little back heavy so I can move the barrel around easier so I opened the tube and threw in a junk of pig iron from a friends cheap shotgun (along with some paper towels to keep it nice and snug).  It made the gun weigh a little more but balanced out that front heavy end.  It didnít make it back heavy like I hoped but it is better.
   I put on the rail a Leapers 4X32 Mil-Dot Mini Airsoft Rifle Scope from Airsplat and couldnít be happier.  The scope has very nice crosshairs with Mil-Dots.  It is small and perfect for airsoft sniping.  I have never felt that airsoft snipers needed more than a 3-4x zoom just based on the 300 foot ďlimitĒ on airsoft guns.  This scope worked great for dense woods and is even good for low light situations.  I took it out the night I got it and could see my targets in the almost dark of streetlights.

Pros/Cons

Cons
The stock is a bit wobbly and wonít fit JG M4 stocks without modification
There are no barrel spacers
The hop up needs some work to be playable
A little front heavy
Pros
Very high quality build
The hop up is screw adjustable (no more right spin)
Light weight
Adjustable stock
Good fps for a stock rifle
Upgradeable with Maruzen APS parts
Easily fixable problems
Very durable and skirmishable
Just darn cool looking.

Ordering

This rifle is the Well MB06 and can be found at a lot of American airsoft retailers.  Two that I use often are Airsoft GI ($130) and Airsplat ($80 and rising).

Final Word
This is a great rifle for those of us in airsoft that donít want a bar-10 or l96.  It has an amazing build quality for the price and is worthy of a match up with anything I can throw at it.  I would highly recommend this gun to all airsofters who wish to begin sniping or want a change or want a really well built upgrader.  I hope that helped those of you who are on the fringes.

Pictures coming soon
Accuracy report coming soon

Needs some work I think.
I posted this on airsoft Retreat but they have not done anything with it yet so I think I am still able to post it other places.
Report Spam   Logged

HK. Because you suck. And we hate you.

Social Buttons

US_Airsoft
DSA NOOB

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 01:30:06 am »

Good Review, just courious why did you pic well, im not saying it was a bad decision but why?
When I buy a gun I look at not only the price and specs but at the upgradeability and the future of the item,  you can get a great deal but down the road you will have to buy eithher a new gun or a part that will make that gun obsolete, just food for thought other then that very informative review.
Report Spam   Logged
MatthewTyson
MS-TAC

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 03:48:13 pm »

Good Review, just courious why did you pic well, im not saying it was a bad decision but why?
When I buy a gun I look at not only the price and specs but at the upgradeability and the future of the item,  you can get a great deal but down the road you will have to buy eithher a new gun or a part that will make that gun obsolete, just food for thought other then that very informative review.
He has this thing with upgrading guns. It involves being too expensive. If he gets something he can't upgrade, he's happy knowing that the gun is awesome and there's not much more to do to it.
Report Spam   Logged

I am the one and only GUNS nBUTTER
Scotland
MS-TAC

50 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 08:42:14 pm »

Fortunately and Unfortunately this gun is completely upgradeable.  The internals are all L96 internals.  So any sniper rifle upgrades that fit an L96 will fit this gun.  It is a copy of the Maruzen APS-SR2 which is upgradeable. So if you can't find L96 parts for it then you should be able to find APS SR2 parts for it.  When I first started airsoft Well was a wal-mart quality company.  A little while ago a buddy of mine got a Well MP7 and I was very impressed with the quality.  A lot of companies that used to be kinda crappy have stepped it up and so I wasn't worried about the quality of this gun when I bought it.
Report Spam   Logged

HK. Because you suck. And we hate you.
thre3aces
DSA NOOB

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 01:33:52 pm »

mate can i add 1 thing....you said that the sniepr was within the 300fps limit.

IT is not NOT. THere is a velocity reducer in place which you can remove which boosts it to just under 500fps (sniper limit for most UK sites)

just to let you know. so with that sort of power hop up isnt really an issue.

btw can you add extended barrel/silencer onto it>?
Report Spam   Logged
cloakndagger
ELITE

King of Uncommon Knowledge, Master of the Benign

Fourth year Anniversary Apple User Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 05:17:24 pm »

I beleve henwas referring to the big three zero zero, the max distance for 90% of recreational airsoft guns used in play. Very good review scotland, bravo!
Report Spam   Logged

Any man seeking to live free should keep a bible on his desk and a .45 in the drawer.
Assaultman
B.O.A. Team Member

Mobile User Third year Anniversary Apple User
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 11:53:19 pm »

Really Nice review!
Report Spam   Logged

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: